This is the second of a whole bunch of bracelet tutorials I'll be posting as part of the PRETTY UP YOUR WRISTS BRACELET CHALLENGE which you're so welcome to join in with! I'm aiming for easy but cute bracelets that don't require buying expensive supplies - I'm really having fun with this: I love pushing myself to try making new things and I really really want a wristful of pretty bracelets to wear next summer!
How to make it:
You will need... a bit of old chain, a charm and some thin ribbon :)
(one of these clippy hook things attatched to it helps a lot but if you haven't got one you can still make this! see my tips at the end of the post)
I used what I call (in my head) "armpit ribbon". It's free and you've probably got some at home somewhere! Y'know... those ribbons that you find inside clothes that the shops use to hang them nicely? Usually attatched to the armpit area of tops :)
Do you keep yours on? They drive me mad, I just snip them off as soon as I buy anything and stash them in my ribbon box! (I'm not really into hanging clothes anyway lol)
1) First make the chain the right length to hang round your wrist (just use your strength and twist the link open on the chain where you want it to end) and tie one end of your ribbon to the last link.
2) Weave the ribbon in and out through the links untwisting it as you go for a smooth run.
3) Once you get halfway, thread the ribbon through your charm and then back through the same chain link.
4) Carry on neatly threading the ribbon through the rest of the chain until you get to the other end and double-tie it on securely.
5) Trim any extra ribbon off and hook it round your wrist!
If you don't have a clasp/hook thing, leave extra ribbon at both ends like I have with the yellow one below and use those to tie it round your wrist. (This might require help to get it on though unless you've mastered one handed knots and bows!) OR you could fix both ends together with a small peice of elastic in a matching colour and you'll be able to stretch it over your wrist to get it on and off :)
I bet there are loads of possibilities with this one. You could use two contrasting ribbons back-to-back, put a charm in at every third link, use a skinny strip of pretty fabric instead of ribbon.... experiment!